VSXtra support for Add-Ins
VSXtra now supports using objects like OutputWindow, VsMessageBox, ActivityLog, RunningDocumentTable, etc. from Add-Ins and from other kinds of Visual Studio Extension artifacts. Feng implemented a great solution through the SiteManager static class that opens VSXtra for Add-Ins and other extensions not only for packages. You can find a sample Add-In named VSXtraMessageBox in the Samples\AddIns folder.
WpfToolWindowPane by Shawn Hempel added to VSXtra
Thanks to Shawn, VSXtra now supports WPF tool windows through the WpfToolWindowPane class. For details see the samples below.
View more related articles below the demonstration code extracts.
Demonstration code extracts
The following code extracts give you a feeling about how VSPackages written with VSXtra look like:
Packages and Services
Menus and Commands
Custom Editors (New!)
Output Windows and Panes
As the project goes on, more samples are to come.
This project is a community project to create an improved Managed Package Framework for VS SDK 2008. The main objectives of the project are:
- Making it easier for .NET developers to start VSX development
- Creating a layer above the VS SDK COM interop types to provide real objects to be used as easily as the .NET types of the BCL
- Leveraging on the state-of-the-art features and tools of the .NET framework
- Reducing the number of code lines required for basic VSX tasks with about 70%
- Making the source code of VSPackages much more readable, straightforward and consistent